Storm Damaged Tree Cleanup Training
DATE: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
TIME: 9 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
LOCATION: N.C. Cooperative Extension, Union County Center, 3230 Presson Road, Monroe, NC 28112
Training presented by North American Training Solutions.
Eligibility Recommendations: Experienced chainsaw operators who are trained in basic chainsaw safety, use and maintenance. You should have prior chainsaw training, or considerable experience prior to this course.
Applicable Standards: This course meets the ANSI/ASSE Z490.1 Criteria or Accepted Practices in Safety, Health, and Environmental Training, as well as OSHA 1910.266 and ANSI Z133.
Important: Attendees must wear the following PPE: eye protection, head protection, and ear protection.
Ropes, Knots, Hardware, and Mechanical Advantage
- Rope use, care, factor of safety, bend radius, tensile strength and cycles to failure
- Connecting links, port-a-wrap, robe grabs use, care (advantages and limitations)
- Slings, knots and hitches, use, care, and maintenance
- Using wedges, pull lines, hand lines, levers (advantages and limitations)
- Mechanical advantage using Z-rigs and fiddle blocks and winches/jacks
Hazard and Danger Tree Cutting and Felling
- Hazard and danger tree identification; leaners, snags, hangers, widow makers and decay
- Compression and tension and identifying and evaluating leans and loads
- Notch/hinge/cut release strategies that maximize control and safety
- Dealing with large diameter spring poles under various load factors (river, snow, ice)
Technical Cutting and Releasing Hung and Snagged Trees
- Key notch, controlled kneehinge, mis-match/bypass cut and bore cut
Cost: $20.00 (for lunch)
CEUs applied for.
Questions – Debbie D. Dillion, Extension Agent Horticulture, NC State University, 704-283-3729 or email@example.com.