2021 Dairy Calf Steer Project
Monday, January 4, 2021
Meet by Zoom or at Agricultural Resources Center, 1175 South Brady Ave., Newton, NC
Ages 8 – 18
Does your child have an interest in learning about raising and showing livestock?
*Then this is the project for your family!*
- Receive a week old dairy calf for the low startup cost of $125
- Learn to raise, care for and show a dairy steer
- Your child will have the opportunity to show the dairy steer in at least 2 shows
- Your child will be trained in showmanship and grooming techniques.
- Volunteers and a veterinarian will be available to answer questions.
- Animals must be sold at end of project.
To learn more about this exciting project and the 4-H Livestock Club, all interested families should make plans to attend the virtual (Zoom) informational meeting on January 4 at 6:30 p.m. or call to register to physically attend based on NC State University, Catawba County, and CDC guidelines.
Families that register for the project will receive more detailed training about caring for the calf/steer at a required evening workshop on January 18, 6:30 p.m.
Register to attend, For more information contact: Glenn Detweiler, N.C. Cooperative Extension Livestock Agent, 828-465-8240 or 405-219-1902 text; Donna Mull, 4-H Agent, N.C. Cooperative Extension, email@example.com or 828-465-8240. Pre-registration to attend the Informational Meeting is REQUIRED to help us with planning and meeting COVID-19 safety guidelines. For a complete list of 4-H clubs, contact the office or visit the Catawba County website.